Thursday, October 20, 2011

Little Panda on the Prairie


Ginger water! It may or may not be the most challenging recipe to veganize but I had to make this. Ginger water is mentioned in the beginning of The Long Winter when Carrie brings some down to Laura and Pa while they are cutting hay. The Long Winter was the first Little House book I read when I was in third grade and the concept of this magical water to drink after haying all morning has always stuck in my imagination.

To make your own you'll need
1/2 c brown sugar
1 t powdered ginger
1/2 c cider vinegar
quart water

Dissolve the sugar and ginger in the vinegar and then add one quart of water, preferably cold. Drink before heading out to stack the hay and find an extra large muskrat house.

10 comments:

Dawn said...

I don't remember reading about it, but I do love ginger. How did you like it?

jessy said...

i just started adding apple sider vinegar to homemade apple juice 'n such - it's so yummy! i love me some ginger, too - i might have to give it a go!

JohnP said...

How vinegary is it?

Hope said...

I was also curious as to how it tastes...

panda with cookie said...

This stuff is strong. I bet it tasted great after a hot morning of stomping down hay in a wagon but if all you've done in the morning is to check your email it will knock you back. It would be easy to adjust to taste, though, and halve the vinegar.

mollyjade said...

This drink and the gigantic meals in Farmer Boy are what I think of when I think of the Little House books.

panda with cookie said...

My final installment of Little Panda on the Prairie will be a Farmer Boy recipe!

celyn said...

Totally going to make this.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

This is awesome!

Luciana said...

I have to say, I'm pretty I'm intrigued, but I'd probably add twice the amount of sparkling water. Although, I know that wasn't on the prairie.