Saturday, October 8, 2011

Vegan Mofo Vegan Iron Chef Chickpea Challenge

Katie always does Vegan Iron Chef challenges for Mofo and this year she's posting them at the main Vegan Mofo blog. I've never done one because I am not good at just tossing stuff about and coming up with something edible. But the first challenge ingredient posted was chickpeas and I just happened to have a pound soaking for a cookin' and I had no plans for them.

I am not too up on the hip vegan food trends, so I have never roasted a chickpea before. I decided to dice some onion and toss with the great garbanzos along with some olive oil, corriander, mustard seed, a wee bit of cumin, some pepper, some red pepper flakes and maybe one or two spices I am forgetting. They roasted for a good bit while I prepared cabbage vijita (cabbage sauteed with mustard seed, coriander and pepper) and then I dumped it all in a bowl for dinner.



Quite tasty! Now some of you may not think this is much of a recipe, most likely because it isn't, but I was pleased with the results of something new for me inspired by Vegan Mofo.

11 comments:

JohnP said...

That looks and sounds good to me. I am always pro-chickpea!

panda with cookie said...

JohnP, I will make it for you some time. I love the cabbage vijita at this time of year. Or anytime really. But especially in the autumn.

Lila said...

That sounds amazing. I approve!

B.A.D. said...

Cabbage and chickpeas were made for one another.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Looks good to me, I love chickpeas.

Dawn said...

Sounds and looks really tasty. You really should give yourself more credit :)

vijita said...

Will you just look at the dice on that cabbage? Knife skills, you has them.

celyn said...

I think this sounds really yum.

MeShell said...

I could totally see myself eating something like that in the near future. Yummy +1

VeggieAmanda said...

I love chickpeas and these look wonderful!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That sounds really, really good!