Friday, October 5, 2012

The Friday Fun Halloween Theme

Pumpkin cheddar biscuits! I think I post about these every year and they never get old. These are not specifically a Halloween item but they are a must when fall comes and there's a bit of nip in the morning air. I have worked at my biscuit technique for a good while now and am finally popping out some tall airy vegan biscuits. Love.
The recipe was published in VegNews last year and is from the fabulous Bianca who just came out with Cookin' Crunk. Head over to her blog to get a copy.

1 t apple cider vinegar
1/3 c soymilk
1 c flour
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c shredded cheddar
5 T Earth Balance
3/4 c canned pumpkin

400 oven
-combine milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside
-In large bowl mix flours, baking powder and salt. Add cheddar and mix. Add EB and mix til coarse crumbs form
-And pumpkin to soymilk and whisk, then add to dry ingredients and mix together.
-pat dough out to 1/2" thick on lightly floured surface and cut out the dough.
-Bake 12-14 minutes or longer as needed.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! Would you recommend Daiya or a different cheddar?

vegan.in.brighton said...

Yum indeed, those look awesome. I need to work on my biscuit technique to get them looking like yours.

JohnP said...

Completely awesome.

VeggieAmanda said...

Um- YUM!! I totally need to GF this recipe. So smart to put pumpkin in these!! Happy Friday!

panda with cookie said...

Brianne, I always use Follow Your Heart in these. I've used Daiya once and I think the FYH tastes better.

Anonymous said...

Your biscuits are tall and airy for sure! In fact, the one you gave me was the best biscuit I had ever eaten. And I had to share with Tim.

sgcorrie said...

Do you have any clue how freaking excited I am to have this recipe in my hot little hands?!?!?!

Frugal Vegan said...

I made these tonight and they were delicious. I had them with a lentil cabbage soup, so good. Thanks!

Johanna GGG said...

I love pumpkin scones and cheese scones but I don't think I have combined them - must do (sorry I call your biscuits "scones" if that is confusing)

Susan Kelley said...

I've gotta try these gluten-freed!