Thursday, October 25, 2012

Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Chickpea Shawarma

Chickpeas! Mighty and delicious. Who can resist? This is the world's least interesting photo but y'all know how I feel about brown food. I made the chickpea shawarma recipe from Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day and piled it on some flat bread with roasted red peppers, tomatoes and the tahini sauce from the recipe. I love the seasonings on the chickpeas here and they can be used in a variety of ways.
Get this book! Tami and Celine are both delightful in an age of increasing internet self promoters and they might not be the flashiest at posting on every forum everywhere but these are some good solid recipes. I haven't had time to make any of their cold cuts yet, but word on the street is that they are mighty good. And of course, many of these recipes don't have to be used for sandwiches. Toss a sauce on a salad. Use that moo-free seitan in some pot pie. Then bring me the pot pie.

5 comments:

VeggieAmanda said...

Chickpeas and tahini are a great combination!

Candy Beans said...

I'm always having to restock chickpeas - they're great in everything! Before MoFo, I wasn't convinced I needed another cookbook, especially one that was for sandwiches. I knew that it had to be more than a bunch of directions for putting stuff on bread, but I didn't allow myself to believe it. I've seen so many good posts about this book though, so I may have to just give in.

JohnP said...

I will always show up for the chickpea!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That flatbread looks absolutely perfect.

Sarah said...

that looks so good!