Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cookbook Favorites: Chickpea Broccoli Casserole from Vegan with a Vengeance

I don't know how many times I have made this recipe, but it never gets old. In the picture above I have added some Daiya cheese but it is most delightful made according to the recipe. From Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. This is one of the first vegan dishes I made.

Three 16-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
3 large carrots, grated (about 2 cups)
1 head broccoli, cut into small florets (about 4 cups)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
1/2 cup bread crumbs (preferably whole wheat)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup vegetable broth
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas well, using a potato masher or firm fork. It takes about 2 minutes to get the right consistency. Add the vegetables and mix well. Add the bread crumbs and mix; then add the oil, and mix again. Finally, add the vegetable broth and salt, and mix one last time.

Transfer all ingredients to a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish (preferably glass or ceramic). Press the mixture firmly into the casserole. Cover with foil, and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes.

21 comments:

celyn said...

For some reason, I've never purchased VWAV, and I've heard only raves about this casserole. Now that I see the recipe laid out, I think I have to make it. It looks delish.

vegan.in.brighton said...

I love broccoli & I have no idea why I've never made this!

Islaborg said...

That looks really good! I don't know why I haven't made this yet, bookmarking the site in my VWAV copy right now.

Sarah said...

I love this recipe but listen to me people cause this is key - DILL - fresh if you have it. Dill is key to making magic happen.

omgoshimvegan said...

That looks great. I have the cookbook and have yet to make that recipe. It is going on my must make list.

Mihl said...

I've seen several people blog about this recipe now. That is a probably a sign to grab VwaV and start cooking.

Sarah S. said...

Ooh I've never tried this one, need to get on that for sure!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I have never made this. I'm gonna put it on my list of things to make!

aryn said...

I love this casserole! Yours looks tasty!

jessy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jessy said...

i can't believe i've never made this dish before. now i'm kinda kicking myself - 'cause i mean, come on - chickpeas + broccoli + casserole style = total awesomeness! i feel kinda dumb for not making this sooner. also....hooray for using up some of the daiya from that bag you scored a bit ago. w00t!

LebaLu said...

You are so right about this recipe! I have not made it in forever, and now I am craving it. It's on the menu for tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

JohnP said...

I love this recipe. One of the first I made from VWAV and still a favorite.

Dawn said...

I love this recipe too and I've done it with the dill like Sarah suggested. YUM!

panda with cookie said...

I apologize for a bad picture here. This recipe and much better pictures can be found all over the internet.

dreaminitvegan said...

Some of my favorite recipes are ones that I made when I first went vegan. I've never seen this casserole before but look delish.

BunzOfCinnamon said...

I've always been curious about this recipe ever since I bought VWAV a couple years ago. Can you believe I've never made it?! Now I'll have to! I like your Daiya addition, I might have to do that too.

Joyfulgirl415 said...

I've never seen a picture of it, but now that I have I think I'll have to make it.

jd said...

I've had a gigantic tab sticking outta that cookbook recipe forever, but haven't gotten around to making it yet...

What is my problem?!

I am totally making it for dinner tonight! Thanks for the prodding :)

Jen said...

my casserole looks nothing like this! yours looks better. i bet they taste the same.

Anonymous said...

This is my potluck go-to dish, even for omnivore events. The thing I love about it is that the ingredients are all pretty bland and boring, yet what happens when they come together is creamy, casserole-y comfort goodness.