Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cookbook Favorites: Fifty Fifty Buns from American Vegan Kitchen


These buns are my go to for the seitan burgers I make so often. Wheaty but never heavy. From American Vegan Kitchen by Tamasin Noyes. many thanks to Tami for letting me re-print her recipe. I can't recommend this book enough. Support your vegan cookbook writers!


3/4 c soymilk, warmed
1 T agave
2 1/4 t dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
1 T ground flax
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 c white wheat flour
1 1/2 t salt
3 T canola oil
1 1/2 T sesame seeds

-In a small bowl combine the milk, agave and yeast and let sit about 5 minutes
-In another small bowl combine the flax and water and mix well
-In a large bowl combine the flours and salt and mix. Add the yeast mix, the flax mix and the oil and mix well. Knead for about 10 minutes on a floured surface and form into a ball. The dough should be smooth and elastic.
-Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough ball inside, turning to coat with oil. Cover with a clean towel and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.
-Lightly oil a baking sheet. Divide the dough into 6 balls and flatten slightly on the sheet. Cover and rest about 10 minutes and then flatten again and bruch with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover the sheet with a towel and let rise about 1 hour.
-Preheat the oven to 375 and then bake for about 14-17 minutes.

(Used by permission. Recipe from American Vegan Kitchen by Tamasin Noyes (c) 2010.)

13 comments:

Bonnie said...

They look perfect! I like the mixture of black and white sesame seeds.

Jen Treehugger said...

They look delightfully fluffy on the inside (yeah I have xray vision) and beautifully firm with just a hint of crisp on the outside.
Oh what a load of tosh I am typing when all I really want to say is NICE BUNS!

JohnP said...

This is a truly excellent recipe. You will never buy buns again!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Awesome, I'm definitely going to be trying this recipe. This cookbook's on my Christmas list - it looks great.

erica said...

Done and done. I heart some starchy gluteny goodness hardcore.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Those look fabulous, and I will have to make them!

jessy said...

those are the prettiest (and cutest) buns. i really like the contrast between the black & white sesame seeds, and the buns themselves look fluffy and soft and oooooh-so perfect. w00t!

Tami said...

Awesomely done, Lisa! Thank you!

Meggs said...

I have been lusting after these buns ever since you showed them with your seitan burgers the other day.

Amey said...

wow those buns look just perfect! I want to come over and eat your buns! hee hee.

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

I am so in awe of bread makers, oooooo it looks great, really tasty.

Sarah S. said...

I have zero bread making experience, and it was something I wanted to try out over MoFo. These rolls look bangin', and they might just have to be the ones for my bread making challenge.

Sarah P said...

Those look so tasty! I will definitely have to make those...