Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Scalloped Okra and Corn Casserole

A few people asked in previous comments about the okra corn casserole I mentioned. I got the recipe from the good man over at the I-40 Kitchen and it comes from the 1958 Unity Vegetarian Cookbook. Check out his blog for a month long trip down ye olde vegetarian path.
I have no pictures of the casserole I made, but it was quite tasty. There is nothing finer than okra in the summer.

3 c sliced okra
4 T shortening
2 c corn
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper
2 T flour
1 c milk
1/4 lb cheese, shredded (I used some of my giant bag of Daiya)
1 c bread crumbs

-Fry okra in 2 T of the shortening for 10 minutes
-Mix a cream sauce with 2 T shortening, flour and milk
-Add salt, pepper and cheese
-Layer corn and okra in baking dish
-Cover with sauce and the bread crumbs
Cook at 350 til brown and bubbly

6 comments:

Mihl said...

Okra is as expensive as gold over here. I need to find it, spend a fortune and make this recipe. It sounds really good.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That casserole sounds great!

veronica said...

oooh, my! We used to eat tons of okra when I was a kid, and I crave it every summer. Sadly, I have no recollection of how my grandma used to make it, and everytime I try it comes out gross. But this looks like a winner! I will definitely try it. :)

BunzOfCinnamon said...

I'm very intrigued by this dish!! I've only had okra once, I should give it another go....

JohnP said...

Yay! Glad you liked it! There is a photo (not a great photo, but still, a photo) somewhere on my Facebook. The fried okra flavor in a casserole made me happy.

Anonymous said...

Dear friends, Brahmakumaris are vegetarian... and emphasize that a vegetarian diet is especially beneficial in order to increase clarity, concentration and the subtle planning that is demanded for spiritual evolution.There is Brahmakumaris meditation...that relaxes the mind...nurtures a healthy balance between inner and outer worlds... recharge... rejuvenate the inner-self... From Gita