Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cookbook Favorites: Snobby Joes from Veganomicon


My favorite sloppy joe recipe because I love lentils and they love me. From Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.
1 cup uncooked lentils
4 cups water

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder- I use less
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons yellow mustard

-Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.

-About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more.

-Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.

-Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can’t wait.

10 comments:

Islaborg said...

Ooh, that looks good I like me some good lentils!

(Btw, I had to look up sloppy joes on wikipedia, ha!)

jessy said...

thats our favorite sloppy joe recipe, too! we add in extra onions and maple syrup 'cause i love 'e that way, and i like to top mine with pickles and mustard just to gross dan out. ah ha ha! it's been far too long since we've enjoyed snobby joes; now i'm sad because i am lentilless. gonna have to fix this and grab some soon. your plate o' yumminesses looks awesome - and three cheers for broccoli, too!

JohnP said...

Tim supports this post. He loves every vegan sloppy joe. While the Laughing Seed's version is his absolute favorite, this is close behind.

celyn said...

I don't know why I've never made these. They look and sound so yummy.

Sarah said...

One of the best lentil recipes!

Anonymous said...

I've totally never made these. That needs to change.

Mihl said...

This is definitely my favourite sloppy joe recipe, too! I blogged about it during last years MoFo.

Sarah S. said...

This one is my favorite sloppy joe recipe. I always make some when I have an open can of tomato paste that needs a home :)

Amanda said...

This is also my favorite sloppy joe recipe! Mmmm mmmmm.

C.J. said...

I call mine Sloppy Chlo's (because my name is Chloe, of course). I love that this recipe doesn't call for fake meat or TVP. And not just because they give me gas. ;p